One of the few pizzas, which incorporate fish meat instead of beef or chicken, a smoked salmon pizza consists of general toppings apart from the meat. Apart from the fish, the dill cream is also a specialty of the pizza. The cream is prepared out of mixing the dill with the sour cream. Keeping aside the dough preparation, this pizza does not take too much time to prepare. A treat for lovers of seafood, the Salmon could be hot or cold smoked, depending upon the likeness and taste of the person. Ideally it should be hot smoked, as it is firmer.
PREPARATION TIME: 1 hour
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
For the dough:
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 cup of warm water heated up to 115 degrees
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
For the topping:
- 1/4th cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion
- 1/4th bunch of fresh dill, minced; 4 small springs for garnish
- 1 cup of sour cream
- Fresh ground pepper
- 16 ounces of smoked salmon
- 4 tablespoons of domestic golden caviar
- 4 teaspoons of black osetra caviar
- Take a small bowl and dissolve the yeast in 1/4th cup of warm water and honey.
- Take another bowl and combine the flour and the salt with it. Add oil, the rest of the 3/4th cup of warm water and the yeast mixture to it, and knead it using hands for about 5 minutes. It should be sticky once done.
- Transfer the dough onto a clean, floured surface and knead for 3 more minutes. Keep adding flour, so that it does not stick to the surface. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When it rises to about twice its size, make 6 to 8 small pieces of dough, which are round in shape and let it rest for 15 – 20 minutes more.
- Preheat the oven at 500 degrees F. You can find great quality ovens at Californo.
- Dip the ball of dough in flour and shake off the excess flour from it. Stretch it by pressing from the centre to form 8-inch circles. One can use either hands or a rolling pin for this.
- Sprinkle olive oil on the pizza dough by leaving a 1-inch border. Add some red onions on it too.
- Put the pizza in the oven and heat it for about 8 to 12 minutes until the crust is golden brown in color.
- Prepare the dill cream by mixing the dill and sour cream along with freshly grounded pepper.
- Transfer the pizzas onto dinner plates and spread them with sour cream mixture. Divide the salmon and spread it evenly all over the pizza. Place a spoonful of golden caviar in the centre and the black caviar in the centre of the golden one.
- Slice each pizza into 4 pieces and serve hot.